Brighton’s first settlers arrived in the area in 1820 from Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Life was difficult in this wilderness but as more families arrived a community began. The township government was soon established in 1823 followed closely by the organization of the Methodist and Congregational Churches. The congregants first met in the homes of the church members and built dedicated churches in later years.
With continued growth the need for some sort of school was filled by early settler Pamelia Loveland conducting a school for a dozen students in her home at the cost of $1.50 per week. School buildings were eventually built along with a governing board. The township’s most famous teacher was Myron T. Herrick who later became Governor of Ohio and an ambassador to France in the early 1900’s.
While primarily a farming community, growth brought about businesses such as a sawmill, grist mill, post office, general store, cheese production, and railroad to name a few. As the community entered the 1850’s, the people of Brighton had to decide their stand on the political issues of the day. Mainly supporting abolition, two houses in the township were active in the Underground Railroad.
Many men left to fight in the Civil War and some of their graves may be found in the Brighton Cemetery. Over the years most of the businesses once found in the township have disappeared. While our small township has the fewest miles of township roads in Lorain County, the community is home to many beautiful farms which remind visitors of the long-ago early settlers.
* A complete history of Brighton Township may be found in the book: Brighton Township,
Ohio: Where the Pioneer Souls Live On written by Cheryl Ewell Hines, a Brighton resident. The
book may be found at the Herrick Memorial Library in Wellington, Ohio or may be purchased at
the Spirit of ’76 Museum also in Wellington.